Tuesday, May 13, 2014

GET/GOT

One of my pet peeves is the use of the words, get and got. I am especially annoyed when I read, "I've got to go." I have got, really? Just leave, already. There are many replacement words for get and got.
Get rid of.. dispose of.
Get away...leave, go, escape.
Don't get so...don't become.
Get over it...let it go.
I got a new car...I purchased, bought.
You'll get past it...You'll survive or overcome.
We'll get together at lunch...We'll meet.
Replacement words are endless.
Acquire
Catch
Develop
Obtain
Find
Procure
Annex
Grasp
 The point is, when you use a contraction such as I'VE, it means I have. I have got doesn't make sense. Either you have it or you don't.
What are your thoughts on this?

When I edit my manuscripts, I keep a list of synonyms available. Not to make my words sound stilted, but to keep from repeating verbs. I have dozens of replacements for common words like walk, talk, put, looked, thought, remembered, etc. It helps to keep my voice fresh and my words from becoming redundant.

Reach me @brennanwrites on twitter. My fan page: https://www.facebook.com/joycewritesromance
or leave a comment on this page
You can purchase my latest ebook, The Hidden Journal on Amazon.

.




No comments:

Post a Comment